GOG.com Gets Sneaky With The Witcher 2 Pre-ordersBy: Sir Loin of Beef posted at May 10, 2011 12:07 pm
They've started taking advanced orders for the upcoming The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition (everyone seems to be trying to do their best Capcom impression in regards to names these days). Those who pre-order the game on GOG.com can pre-download up to 95% of the game itself through their launcher. Once the game is released, those who pre-downloaded will be able to obtain the remaining 5% and can play the game almost immediately. Oh, and there's also no DRM funny stuff.
Now you may be asking "But Mr. Beef, what does this have to do with The Witcher?" Well not too long ago, Namco Bandai, the distributor of the game for the country of Australia (a country known for their ridiculous censorship laws regarding video games and their equally silly lack of a proper 18+ rating for said games) announced that their version of The Witcher 2 will be censored accordingly. For those that haven't managed to put the two cases together yet, GOG's little adjustment may in fact allow Aussie players to download a version of the game from a different region, completely bypassing the censorship altogether (as well as getting it for a cheaper $44.99, compared to the land-down-under price of $69.99).
I'm not going to say if this was an intended result of their change or not (because I honestly don't), but it's definitely a clever method of bypassing the country's laws. Of course, now we just need to worry about the Australian government getting wise about this and doing something about it.
For those that want to check out what all the excitement is about, they've put the original The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut up for sale for an astounding $4.99. This is the version of the game that was released for NA that was intended to be on par with the original enhanced edition released internationally, only it also adds the removal of the censorship for the American audiences. GOG's version of this package comes with additional goodies, including a soundtrack, art book, wallpapers, and more.
Bookmark and share to your friends
Hot Articles Weekly
Recipe for a master mmorpg?
2814 views 37 comments By Katling21
Nintendo says No! No! To youtube monetize system.
2650 views 28 comments By Pelagato
[First Look] Arcane Saga (CBT)
2123 views 21 comments By Zugai
F2P Weekly News #1 May 10th
2078 views 9 comments By Spammie
World or Warcraft Subscription Base drops by 1.3 Mio as Patch 5.3 draws nigh
1573 views 6 comments By Stan D
Why i love my Whipper
1560 views 12 comments By CassieChu
DOT: Defender Of Texel The Mobile Game To Play.
1362 views 6 comments By Ammunition
[Review] Fishing Hero (CBT)
1270 views 12 comments By Zugai
Throne of Thunder Cross Realm Enabled in Patch 5.3
980 views 0 comments By Stan D
Ammo's Pick: Top 5 Bugs, Glitches, and Errors In MMOFPS
809 views 2 comments By Ammunition
- Scarlet blade's sentinel class to be censored186 comments
- The RPG Corner #1 - The Witcher34 comments
- TERA and it's heavy censorship and what it may mean for other NA releases8 comments
- The Secret World Pre-Order Available1 comments
- Tera CBT Review - Save your money40 comments