Blizzard has been experimenting with Silence Penalty in Heroes of the Storm. Given it's popularity, it's coming to World of Warcraft. If you don't know what Silence Penalty is this article will guide you through the new feature.
When Reporting Someone Doesn't Work
Sometimes, reporting someone isn't ENOUGH. There are virtually no consequences, well sometimes there's a suspension for a few hours but that's it. For this very reason, Blizzard is adding Silence Penalty to World of Warcraft. Explanation by Blizzard:
World of Warcraft offers many opportunities to engage with other players in a variety of ways and to help support positive experiences in these engagements we wanted to inform you of a new silence penalty we will be implementing with the pre-expansion patch for Legion. Depending on the type of report, players who are found to be abusive in chat or engage in inappropriate chat behaviors may be silenced from engaging in certain ways within the game.
Noticed how I highlighted the last part? Let's have a closer look at what a silenced user is capable of and limited doing:
Silenced Players Can
1. Send /w to their friends (in-game or Battle.net friends).
2. Reply to whispers regardless of who sends them.
3. Talk in a party or raid chat with invited players.
4. Create a raid or party.
5. Share quests with others.
6. Sign up to join a pre-made group.
7. Talk in a global channel that has a mod and requires manual access.
Silenced Players Can't
Now here comes the interesting part, infractions will limit your account and you won't be able to:
1. Talk in an instance chat (raids, parties, battlegrounds).
2. Talk in global channels you automatically joined (trade chat, general chat)
3. Create calendar events or invites.
4. Invite somebody to a party.
5. Start a War Game.
6. Start a duel.
7. Change a pre-made group info or listing
8. Create a new pre-made group
I've highlighted with bold the most critical changes. If you're silenced, you won't be able to talk in Trade Chat, create a pre-made group or talk in an instance (be it Raid Finder or a random Heroic Dungeon pug).
How Long Does It Take for the Suspension to Wear off?
Well it's the same as in Heroes of the Storm. Basically, for the first time a player is silenced, the chat is restricted for 24 hours. The duration doubles for each silence penalty received after the first and there is no maximum meaning players who receive lots of penalites may find themselves being unable to talk for a very long time. Silenced players will receive a notification when attempting to send a message to a channel in which they've been restricted.